Thursday, June 25, 2009

Umeed-e-Sahar by Laal




Now I'm not sure how I stumbled across the song or the band but I'm glad I did.


The first song I heard from the band Laal was titled "Maine Usse Yeh Kaha" - .very. intriguing lyrics - based on politics and governance - that piqued my curiosity and after some research I discovered that the band Laal is made up of a couple of Marxists (one is a Political Science lecturer and the other is an Economics grad student!).


And then the second song "Umeed-e-Sahar" ... Wow.


I must admit that the first hearing was all about the composition and vocals - the lyrics were a bit too urdu-heavy for me to follow ... and now thanks to the Youtube video with translation - the song is much, much more enjoyable. (the U-tube has a bunch of other stuff from the band as well - worth a look)


Laal - Super band,


Umeed-e-Sahar - Good album, good songs


... worth a listen. Once again another wonderful Pakistani band rises and produces a gem of an album ... Bollywood - how I hate you for this!



And this is what I was able to fish out from the dredges of the internet - interesting read on the band



No comments: